Twitter Feed

Follow cchsreads on Twitter

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff


This book is set in a town where everyone is kind of superstitious. They know that there is something wrong with their town; every seven years, a child is taken and a replacement is left where the baby sleeps. In order to protect their kids, parents hang iron things over their babies, such as horseshoes and knives, because the replacement monsters do not like iron. I'm not sure I would hang any sort of blade over my baby if I were a mother, but they do. Mackie is a replacement. At birth, he was traded for the real Mackie, and he struggles to act like a normal human. His struggling is mostly due to his allergy to iron. I'm not sure how he gets around the world, or what he's made of, but he manages, barely. Most other replacements die within a couple of days after they replace a human, but Mackie lasts. He has his sister to thank for that; without her care and protection, he would not have made it.
I give it a 3. This book wasn't bad, but it wasn't stellar either, though it was on the better side. There was nothing that really struck me about it. The writing style and the plot were fine. For food, I guess it's like twizzlers. There's a certain fondness because of the fact that it's candy, and it tastes good because of the sugar, but it isn't extraordinary.

1 comment:

  1. Lol, you like food metaphors, don't you? Well, twizzlers is another good one. And I'm glad to know about this book, because I was considering it.

    Btw, we are four YA writers and avid readers, and we just started a new blog to talk about YA literature. It's not so much book reviews as talking about different issues, trends, etc. We are hoping to connect with real teen readers, and we would love to see you there!

    ReplyDelete

Twitter Feed

Follow cchsreads on Twitter