Twitter Feed

Follow cchsreads on Twitter

Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 9, 2011

This Girl Is Different


By J. J. Johnson

I had really hoped to be able to give this a good rating, mainly because Jelle didn't, so I am sorry to say that I was not happy with the book. Thats not to say it was a BAD book, it just.... I'm not sure where to start. Maybe the feminist thing. I have nothing against books where feminism plays a big role in the character's life. I also think that it is possible to have a good book that falls somewhere in between feminism and fluffy chicklit. But this book wasn't that. It somehow managed to be all the things about feminist books that irk me, and all the stupid girly stuff that I hate.
Evie is a feminist, but when you first meet her she is alone, in the woods, with a badly sprained ankle and her mom probably won't find her for hours, so you would think she would be glad when a boy offers to help her. Or at least be nice. Then, after it would have been conveniate for her to be normal, she turns into the classic girl who falls for a guy and obsesses over him for pages.
While I have serious issues with the characters I did think that the storyline was good, or at least ok. I think I will describe this book as cheesy cauliflower. It is pretty good, warm gooy cheese and soft crunchy vegetables, but the base, the cauliflower, is hard to get past. Because cauliflower is nasty. The book was good enough, but the main character bothered me, and that's hard to get passed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Feed

Follow cchsreads on Twitter