Twitter Feed

Follow cchsreads on Twitter

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: 2010

You can call 2010 the year of the book. At least, that was the case for this librarian, who set herself a New Year's resolution of reading 300 books. The goal was slightly surpassed; 311 titles were read. Here's the breakdown.

20 adult titles
267 YA titles
245 children's titles

or,

295 works of fiction
7 nonfiction
9 graphic novels

or,

5 audiobooks
4 e-books
302 old-school books


Whew! That was a lot of books! I don't want to limit my favorites to just those that were published this year (something I got into a bit in the Printz post). Truthfully, when I look over the long list of what I read this year, I realize that I read a lot of books I didn't love. Perhaps that is the "work" of being on a committee. That said, I exposed myself to so many authors I never would have gotten around to reading if I hadn't been forced to read their books. In that way, I learned so much this year.

But anyway, according to GoodReads, where I evaluated each book on the five-star rating system upon completion, here are my FIVE STAR titles:

Forge by Laurie Halse Anderson
A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly
Beatle Meets Destiny by Gabrielle Williams
Ninth Ward by Jewell Parker Rhodes
Crazy by Han Nolan
Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy by Gary D. Schmidt
Yummy: The Last Days of a Southside Shorty by G. Neri
Annexed by Sharon Dogar
Out of my Mind by Sharon Draper
The Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman
Smile by Raina Telgemeier
Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly
Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson
Fixing Delilah by Sarah Ockler
Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters by Natalie Standiford
Touch Blue by Cynthia Lord
Butterfly by Sonya Hartnett
Sorta Like A Rock Star by Matthew Quick
Once by Morris Gleitzman
Real Live Boyfriends: Yes. Boyfriends, plural. If my life weren't complicated, I wouldn't be Ruby Oliver by E. Lockhart
By The Time You Read This I'll Be Dead by Julie Anne Peters
Sleepwalk and Other Stories by Adrian Tomine
One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia
Split by Swati Avasthi
Shakespeare Makes the Playoffs by Ron Koertge
Nothing by Janne Teller
Who Will Run the Frog Hospital by Lorrie Moore
How to Say Goodbye in Robot by Natalie Standiford
Last Night I Sang to the Monster by Benjamin Alire Saenz
Fat Cat by Robin Brande
Into the Wild Nerd Yonder by Julie Halpern
Love, Aubrey by Suzanne LaFleur

Wow, I felt like I was being stingy. Now it looks like I can't stop loving books. My most favorite ten titles are bolded.

And then there's the ugly (we'll skip over the bad for now; let it be known that bad books get published all the time!).

These are my least favorite books of 2010 (the one stars). Some are truly terrible. Others were just a struggle to read in their entirety. Here we go:

The Line by Teri Hall
A Conspiracy of Kings by Megan Whalen Turner
Griff Carver, Hallway Patrol by Jim Krief
Alchemy and Meggy Swan by Karen Cushman
I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore

Absolute, hands-down least favorite book of the year, well, it's also bolded.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Feed

Follow cchsreads on Twitter